Picture this: Dad works at the office all day long. Mom does errands and chores round-the-clock. The kids are engaged with schoolwork or socializing after classes. In other words, everyone is busy.
One way to work around this is for the entire household to actually make time to bond. Family meal times may be very beneficial. But an even greater idea is cooking together as a family. It nourishes your relationships, teaches children soft and practical skills, and increases your family’s health.
You don’t have to be a good cook to achieve this! In fact, here are 5 recipes to get you started:
For a healthier option, add veggies and fruit toppings like pineapples, mushrooms or peppers.
- Position one oven rack in the middle setting. Position another rack in the lowest setting, and place a rimless baking sheet on the bottom rack of your oven. Preheat oven to 500°.
- Take your dough and brush it with olive oil.
- Remove preheated baking sheet from oven and close oven door. Slide dough onto preheated baking sheet. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 500° for 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spread sauce in an even layer over crust, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake on middle rack an extra 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese melts.
- Add toppings (optional).
Burgers are ridiculously easy to make. Just make sure you add vegetables to make it more nutritious.
- Mix a small, diced onion, 500g of minced beef and one egg into a bowl.
- Roll the mixture into four balls and flatten to make burger-shaped patties.
- Refrigerate the patties for about half an hour to firm them up.
- Heat the barbecue (or grill) and place the burgers on (or in), cooking for about 15 minutes, until cooked through. Turn once.
- Serve with a sesame seed bun, salad and any toppings that you desire!
Whip up this no-fail, cheap and easy dish. You may even want to cook a big batch to eat at a later date.
- Brown 500g of minced beef.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook for three minutes.
- Stir in one or two crushed garlic cloves and a 400g can of chopped tomatoes along with a ¼ pint of beef stock and mixed herbs (optional).
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the Spaghetti (or other pasta of choice). Drain and serve with your bolognese sauce on top.
Microwave Potato Soup
Here’s something delicious and healthy that you can make with just your microwave.
- Add your potatoes and water into a large microwaveable mug. Microwave for 3-4 min or until the potatoes are tender. Check on it halfway through and stir.
- Once cooked drain away the cooking water.
- Into the potatoes stir in the bacon, cheese and onions, and corn flour. The corn flour will thicken your soup.
- Stir in the stock and milk then season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the microwave and cook for 2½ – 3 minutes or until it thickens and all your ingredients have heated through. Cooking time is based on a 1200W microwave so your timing might vary.
- Always keep a close eye on your mug while in the microwave so it doesn’t overflow or overcook.
- Serve topped with sour cream and some more sprinkles of bacon and chives.
This juicy Tex-Mex dish is so easy to make. It’s perfect for a tasty dinner with the family (and friends).
- Chop an onion, red pepper and two chicken breasts (in thin strips).
- Put together in a bowl with one teaspoon of paprika (and the same amount of cumin, if you have it). Add some salt and pepper, and drizzle with oil.
- For the salsa: Chop some tomatoes, chili and coriander, adding salt, and pepper and lime or lemon juice with some oil and stir.
- After leaving to marinade for a few minutes, cook in a preheated pan for about 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Warm some flour tortillas in the microwave.
- Serve with your homemade salsa, grated cheddar, sour cream, and guacamole.
Care to share any recipes your family has done? Comment it below!